Word of the Year




Already the 21st of January, I can’t believe that! It’s already past the day of dropped New Years resolutions, apparently. I feel ok in this subject more than other years because I didn’t really set goals! My intention this year is to set intentions and also a word of the year. 

I wanted to share about my word of the year because it’s a great reminder to myself, and especially this year I feel like it’s the word I need! Last year it was “persevere” and boy did I need it, and I’m glad I can also leave it behind in 2017. Of course I know I will still need to persevere but my new word takes care of it nicely. 

“begin again”

More of a phrase than a word but I got it while listening to Abiding Together podcast (will come back and add link!) about the new year. 

I’m really good at beating myself up about what I’m “not doing” or what I perceive that I’m failing at (all lies, guilt, and fear which don’t deserve the time of day but they come up). There’s a reason I didn’t set specific goals this year. I’m also not just trying to let myself off the hook by not setting goals, I have plenty of intentions and many, many things I want to accomplish this year! By letting myself have the word “begin again”, it doesn’t matter if I have a bad week or a bad day, or I didn’t do the things I wanted to do, I can begin again and keep fighting to forge a rhythm in my every day life and I like it. I like knowing that I’m not failing, because sometimes I do feel really overwhelmed and frustrated and I let the dishes pile up...but sometimes I also have awesome stretches where I start the day with a clean kitchen and laundry done, and I get a bunch of things done off my list. I don’t have to be perfect and I am not failing by not being consistent. I’m happy to live in the ebb and flow of my current state and keep trying over and over again. I know I will gain more simplicity and rhythm and consistency eventually. I know I could also fall out of it many times. You get the picture. This year is all about letting go of that guilt, fear, and overwhelm and letting myself live freely in my own way and keep trying over and over. Isn’t it nice to know you can begin again? 

“It is never too late to be what you might have been” George Eliot

“With God, every moment is the moment of beginning again.” Catherine Doherty

Comments

Popular Posts